Community Involvement - LGC Awards 2021
This award is open to a single council or where appropriate a partnership of councils, or a council-owned company. Private sector partners can enter on a council’s behalf, with the permission of the council itself.
Community involvement and engagement has come to the fore during the Covid-19 pandemic and many councils have established a new relationship with local people and local communities, or groups within them. Community involvement and engagement are increasingly important as a way of shaping council thinking, contributing to service design and improvement and to responding to continuing resource pressures. It may also involve direct community involvement in service delivery. This award is intended to showcase the whole range of community involvement either related to or unrelated to the response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Submissions should focus on:
- Summarising the project concerned and the nature of the community involvement;
- Setting out the aims of the project and the extent to which they have been achieved within the relevant timescale;
- How community engagement contributes to the council’s wider objectives and strategy;
- The main drivers of success and the approach the council has taken.
Award entries will be judged on:
- Evidence of community satisfaction with the process and achievement of the council’s objectives;
- The depth and extent of community involvement, in particular in getting people involved who would not otherwise have done so;
- The extent to which the involvement has influenced service quality and/or the way in which the council works;
- The contribution to the council’s wider objectives;
- The sustainability of the approach.