Environmental Services - LGC Awards 2021
This award is open to a single council or where appropriate a partnership of councils, or a council-owned company. Private sector partners can enter on a council’s behalf, with the permission of the council itself.
This award is intended to mark innovation and excellence in any aspect of a council’s work in environmental services, including sustainability, energy, recycling, refuse collection and street cleaning.
Entries will be judged on the innovation of their submissions and the extent to which it is demonstrated the council’s work has improved the environment in their area and/or the efficiency of service delivery. They may also showcase how the council took a pioneering path to ensure the resilience of services during the pandemic.
Submissions should focus on:
- A full description of the project and its aims;
- A detailed explanation of costs, how it was funded and where the expertise for it came from;
- The impact of the council’s work on the lives of local people, for instance by showing how their concerns led to a positive response or community engagement impacted upon it;
- Any links between policy on the environment and other objectives including economic growth and net zero;
- Examples of resilience in the face of considerable challenges (Covid-19 if applicable);
- Evidence that the project has met its goals.
Award entries will be judged upon:
- The extent to which the council’s work was an innovative response to a significant concern and potentially can be replicated in other areas;
- The quality of the outcomes obtained from the project, for instance in improved or more efficient services, or with regards to the resilience of services during the pandemic;
- Links between environmental sustainability and other policy areas including economic growth;
- Evidence of buy-in to the project or its goals from members of the local community or external organisations.