Entrepreneurial Council - LGC Awards 2020
This award is open to a single council or where appropriate a partnership of councils, or a council-owned company. Private sector partners can enter on a council’s behalf, with the permission of the council itself.
Local government is working not just to provide services for the here and now but to generate income to assist it in its valuable work. This award recognises that councils increasingly operate with private sector nous and successfully trade their expertise. It recognises councils with bold ambition that can demonstrate an understanding of the risk involved.
Submissions should focus on:
- The scope and scale of the council’s entrepreneurial work;
- Providing narrative evidence and data showing a growth in entrepreneurialism on the authority;
- Proving an understanding of and resilience to risk;
- Demonstrating buy-in and enthusiasm to the projects from the workforce, as well as any benefit brought to the authority’s workforce;
- Evidence of the success of the projects undertaken and how any profits have been used to assist the authority’s wider objectives or in the interests of local residents.
Award entries will be judged on:
- The innovation and ambition demonstrated in the work in question
- Evidence of a successful commercial mind set, including profits generated
- The quality of the product provided by the council and clear evidence of customer satisfaction
- The enthusiasm for the entrepreneurial work among staff and the recipients of services.
- Demonstration that the council is aware of any potential pitfalls of operating in a commercial environment.