Diversity and Inclusion - NEW! - LGC Awards 2020
This award is open to a single council or where appropriate a partnership of councils, or a council-owned company. Private sector partners can enter on a council’s behalf, with the permission of the council itself.
The award recognises strong performance by a council, with a primary focus on the relevant timescale, in developing a diverse and inclusive culture that permeates the council itself and its workforce and/or the broader local area.
The entry could demonstrate the council’s attempts to foster a more diverse and inclusive workplace for all employees, and members, and describe how this is helping to attract and retain talent. It could include internal council initiatives, customer/service user-facing work, or work to promote a wide range of careers on the council to appeal to different people.
The entry could alternatively focus more on the broader local area, highlighting initiatives to foster diversity and help facilitate inclusion across the local community. It could include how the council has worked with other business and other local organisations to improve opportunity or participation. It could look at engagement.
Judges will be looking for evidence of at least three of the following:
- Positive leadership that filters down to all levels and the promotion of positive role models within or beyond the council;
- Staff engagement, training and the work that has taken place to create a culture that fosters change within and beyond the organisation;
- Evidence of positive outcomes from specific initiatives to promote diversity and inclusion.
- Creating more open employment opportunities and avoiding exclusion through recruitment processes;
- Boldness in setting benchmarks for diversity and inclusion, and progress towards them;
- Efforts to promote diversity and inclusion in the wider local area;
- Evidence that diversity and inclusion are central to all of the council’s work, including its partnerships and work with service users.